

I woke up early the day I had been dreading for a week. The doorbell rang, I looked down at Yoda and whispered to him, “I’m sorry but it’s time.”
My dad was at the door to go with me to take my little companion of 13 years to the Vet to be put to sleep. Yoda was our family pug and he was going blind and had many other health issues. It was time.
“ Are you ready Jayne?” my dad asked while he was petting Yoda.
“No, I will never be ready.” I mumbled while trying not to cry.
The car ride to the vet was the worse, holding Yoda petting him for the last few minutes I had. Trying to act like everything was Ok and telling myself, ‘ this was the best thing for Yoda,’ we got out of the car and went inside the place I hated.
Her voice was cold and sharp, “ You have an appointment?”
“Yes, my name is Jayne and I am here with Yoda.” I replied with my head down not wanting to look into her eyes with fear that I will burst into hysterics.
I was in a private room with Yoda spending time with him. Holding him tightly I said, “Yoda, I am going to miss you so much and I will never love another dog as much as I have loved you!” and then I Iet go and they took him.
My dad looked over at me in the car and said, “You know Jayne, you did the best thing for Yoda. He was miserable.”
The rest of the ride home seemed like an eternity. All I could hear was my voice in my head screaming, “Jayne, you did do the right thing!”
I remember that day like it was yesterday. While the sun set that day I was lying in bed crying. Ten years later the sun is rising and I am taking my standard poodle, Juliett, for a walk. It is a beautiful morning and she listens while I talk about my old love, Yoda.
2 comments:
Thats the kind of blogging I like. Things that are hard and truthful in life. I love you mom! Thank you for sharing this story. I miss yoda too!
I remember taking care of that dog while you and I lived in the same apartments. I can't remember the other ones name that you had, but I think it was Yoda that would lift both hind legs up to go to the bathroom. It cracked me up. Good memory!
Post a Comment